Thursday, August 2, 2012

Life is a highway...pt.1

I realize it has been a long while since I blogged - I did start a post one night though...does that count? :)  To say that the month of July has been busy is an understatement! I am going to do my best to catch up everything as efficiently as possible!

After my wonderful week with Van, I dropped him back off with his parents on my way to a friend's "Dirty 30" birthday/work weekend Bowling Green, VA.  She is getting married on the family farm up there this September and there was still a lot of work to do to get the place ready. Being the campy person that she is, she decided to celebrate her 30th birthday, by having people come and help them on the farm. HOT, HOT, HOT!! With the heat index being well over 100, we cleaned Friday night and Saturday morning, then threw in the towel before the heat was able to peak.  On Sunday, her sisters threw her a fabulous "My Fair Lady" themed bridal shower! There were tea sandwiches, truffles, scones (all homemade), with beautiful decorations to accompany it! Made me with I had seen the movie 

Once I made it back home and recovered from everything, it was time for us to fly to Waco to try to find somewhere to live! I picked up Paul from school on Thursday afternoon, drove to Myrtle Beach, flew from Myrtle to Chicago, then from Chicago to Dallas. By the time we finally landed, picked-up our luggage, picked-up a rental car and found the hotel; it was well after 1:00am (2:00am Eastern). We absolutely crashed! The next morning we checked-out and drove down to Waco.  Waco is bigger than we were expecting. Apparently for Texas standards it is a "small town", but it is very comparable to Wilmington, if not a little larger.  We were fortunate enough to find a nice, quiet condo on the outskirts of town. Knowing we now have somewhere to live was a huge relief! I had been worried about that for months. Once that was taken care of, we headed over to Baylor so Paul could drop off some forms, then just explored Baylor and Waco the rest of the time.  Baylor has an absolutely beautiful campus!! Thankfully, they also have lots of trees around to help provide some reprieve from the intense heat.  Navigating the roads will take a little adjustment. Little things from, horizontal stoplights, to U-Turn only lanes when exiting off the interstate. It's amazing I didn't get a moving violation ticket while trying to get around!  On Saturday, we headed back to Dallas since we had an early morning flight. We stopped to eat at an amazing restaurant called The Ranch. Most of all their food comes from ranches in Texas.  It was amazing!  I did, however, learn the hard way what a fresno pepper is. They came on my sausage and goat cheese flatbread. Being a flatbread, and seeing slices of red things on it, I assumed they were tomatoes. They.Were.NOT! On my second bite, I ate an entire slice and thought I was going to be sick it was so hot!! Even hours later, after my mouth had stopped burning, my skin still had a reddish/tan tint to it from the pepper!  This is a mistake I will not make again! I will always know what a Fresno Pepper is now!
Baylor Bears - with two live bears on campus! (In a bear habitat of course)
Beautiful trees on Baylor Campus!!
Us, on campus, in the heat!

This gets us through the 1st half of July!  I will try to post the rest later today or tomorrow! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment